EGW Teaches Satan bears our iniquities!

J23Jesusnailedtocross

One of the most disturbing things about Ellen White is that she teaches that Satan ultimately bears the iniquities of the world.  This is something I have refuted before by breaking down Leviticus 16 regarding the Day of Atonement.  If you want more information on this I recommend you read that post.  On this one I will only be focusing on one aspect of it.

Below notice that Ellen White teaches that Satan is the one bearing our sins and iniquities:

“It was seen, also, that while the sin offering pointed to Christ as a sacrifice, and the high priest represented Christ as a mediator, the scapegoat typified Satan, the author of sin, upon whom the sins of the truly penitent will finally be placed.” The Great Controversy, p. 422.

“As the priest, in removing the sins from the sanctuary, confessed them upon the head of the scapegoat, so Christ will place all these sins upon Satan, the originator and instigator of sin.”The Great Controversy, p. 485.

“Their sins are transferred to the originator of sin.” Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 5, p. 475.

Notice in particular she says the following:

“will finally be placed”

“place all these sins upon Satan”

“transferred to”

The problem with this is that if our sins exist to be transferred to another to bear then that means they were not truly finished at the cross.  You are looking at an incomplete atonement.  Which means that in an SDA worldview, the one who truly finishes the atonement is the devil, bearing the sins of the world.

The Bible doesn’t teach this at all.  Instead it says that all of our sins were placed upon Jesus Christ.

. . . and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed 1 Peter 2:24 ESV

The next day he saw Jesus coming to him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!John 1:29 ESV

“…and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.” Isaiah 53:6 ESV
Notice we see similar language here, but this time about Jesus!
“He Himself bore our sins”
“Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world”
“laid on him”
And that in this taking of our sins to death Jesus says that it is finished.

“When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit” John 19:30 ESV

“But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God” Hebrews 10:12 ESV

Not only were our iniquities placed on Christ and finished at the Cross, his work is referred to as a single sacrifice.  There are not multiple sacrifices, only one for everyone.  Satan doesn’t help Jesus pay for our sins like Ellen White teaches, Jesus finished it at the cross.

Because this work is complete the promise is assured now that we are saved.  We do not have to wait for Satan to finish the work.  It has already been done.

“For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.” 2 Cor 5:21 ESV

Notice that the above verse is in the past tense.  This has already been completed.

“and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith” Php 3:9 ESV

“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.” John 5:24 ESV

The work of Christ is finished and applies to us right now.  We do not have to wait for the completion of an investigative judgement where Satan bears our sins.  Christ has already already taken them to the grave.  Our sins our dead, and we are resurrected in newness of life in the shed blood of Christ.  Now, not at some point in the future after trusting in Satan like Ellen White is teaching.

“I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.” 1 Jn 5:13 ESV

Of all of the false teachings of Ellen White this is the greatest heresy that has ever come out of her.

This above all proves that she is a false prophet and should not be feared.

Advertisements

About ACTheologian

I am a layman who blogs my Biblical studies. Enjoy, please read with an open Bible and do double check with your pastor.
This entry was posted in Heresy & Heterodoxy, Investigative Judgment and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to EGW Teaches Satan bears our iniquities!

1. Ezra says:

What is the symbolism of the scapegoat in the sanctuary doctrine?

2. I know and believe this. This is why the devil has the sins… Our punishment in hell is placed on the devil because we have been forgiven and cleansed. True Jesus took and bore our sins. However the devil will face our punishment because he deserved it. That is why the last person to die is death( Satan himself) .

• Armchair Theologian says:

I understand the scapegoat theory. The reason I reject it is that it is an assumption that makes Satan finish the atonement.

The way type and shadow works, theologically, is you need an unclear verse in the old testament and a clear one in the new.

So you have the unclear scapegoat. Now show me a verse that says he is Satan in the new.

Go

You can’t there isn’t one. Jesus said the old testament is about him and I believe what he said.

I cover these types and shadows in greater depth here:

It might come down to a different methodology. The reason I don’t take single words in the old testament and string wild assumptions to them is there is no end as to the conclusions I could come up with. I would be allowed to believe whatever I want. I’ll give an example.

“and with his wounds we are healed.”
      Isaiah 53:5 ESV

Ero… Visa ve…. therefore….

I should never get sick or injured or die because it says we are healed.

Let’s ignore that the new testament defines this as the resurrection because I don’t want to believe that.

The name for the scapegoat can have many reasons. It doesn’t have to represent an entity only an action. It doesnt have to respect chronology of events either as types and shadows rarely do. Just like the high priest humbling himself in plain attire to perform the ceremony represents the humbling of Christ in the incarnation, and the doning of his priestly attire the exaltation, so the scapegoat is our sins being separated as far from us as the east is from the west.

Type and shadow is supposed to be unclear. God said it would be.

And he said, “Hear my words: If there is a prophet among you, I the Lord make myself known to him in a vision; I speak with him in a dream. Not so with my servant Moses. He is faithful in all my house. With him I speak mouth to mouth, clearly, and not in riddles, and he beholds the form of the Lord . Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?”
      Numbers 12:6-8 ESV

We are to expect the prophets words to be likeness and similitude. This isn’t an anachronistic interpretive construct. The Bible teaches this. So since Jesus says this:

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. John 5:39 KJV

And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. Luke 24:27 KJV

I am pulling these from my notes sorry for the version flipping. But the point is Jesus said the old testament is about him. So putting the two together we expect unclear images about Jesus and or his action in the old testament. That is what we find with the scapegoat.

Add that to not a single verse saying the scapegoat is Satan in the new testament and with respect there is just no basis for this.

Also since taking it to its logical conclusion means Satan finishes the atonement you end up with the worst Christological heresy pretty much of all time.

If you’re interested in types and shadows I put this together too. But it also demonstrates that chronology of events is irrelevant in type / antitype fulfilment.

3. Melini Moodley says:

SDAs believe that Satan, and not they, are responsible for their sins. But the reality is that Satan cannot MAKE us sin.TThis premise is nothing but the old blame game theology in Genesis rearing it’s ugly head. Eve blamed the serpent. Adam blamed Eve and even God who had made Eve! Nobody took responsibility for their part in the rebellion against God. But God did not buy into their blame game theology and He punished each party as He saw fit. But because He is gracious and He is never taken by surprise He made a promise to Adam and Eve that the seed of the woman (Christ) would crush the head of the serpent. The SDA theory that Satan must carry the confessed sins of the saints on his head taken to its logical conclusion would mean none of us need to confess our sins because they’re all Satan’s fault anyway. It would mean that Christ died, not to put an end to sin, but merely to act as a conduit to transfer sins onto Satan! The SDA premise is outright blasphemous as it downgrades the importance of Christ’s sacrifice.

A view that Christ both pays the penalty for our sin by bearing sin and it’s punishment and also removes sin by giving believers a new nature is more consistent with the full import of Scripture taken holistically.

Great article! This doctrine of the SDAs was what really got me thinking and onto the path out of the movement.

4. Melini Moodley says:

But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

Satan doesn’t MAKE anyone sin.He cannot ttherefore carry anyone’s sin. Our sins are not Satan’s fault or responsibility. Only when we accept the fact that we sinned can we appreciate God’s kindness toward us through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. A person who says “I sinned but it’s Satan’s fault I sinned” cannot appreciate the full import of what God has done for us through the substitutionary atonement work of Christ.

5. Stranger says:

I’ve never seen anyone argue that Azazel doesn’t represent Satan before. You say Jesus is Azazel?!?! Wow

• ACTheologian says:

Yeah he bears our sins, takes them as far away as the east is from the west.

• Stranger says:

I agree Jesus bears our sins, but Jesus is Azazel? You gotta be crazy. I’ve never seen anyone so bold as to suggest that the Azazel is Jesus. Jews believe Azazel represents Satan, every Christian denomination says Azazel represents Satan. Wikipedia says Azazel represents Satan. A Google search for “Azazel” shows 100’s of references to Azazel being Satan, the Fallen Angel, the architect of sin. You are the first I’ve ever seen that gets it all backwards.

Looking over your site it seems you have a strong hatred for SDA, are you sure you aren’t just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing, all because you have this hatred? Seems your judgement is very clouded.

• ACTheologian says:

Well you’re misrepresenting me. I never said I hated SDA, and I never said I was “crazy”. So you’re either mistaken or lying. Please clarify.

Second, the Bible says he was made to be sin. Simple as that. The name azazel is type and shadow of the sin Christ bore. This is common with Christological typology. With respect, I’d recommend you diversify and study some sources more orthodox than Wikipedia.

2 Corinthians 5:21 ESV

• Stranger says:

I have studied more Orthodox sources than Wikipedia, that was only one of many examples I used to express how wide spread the opposing view is. I still agree that Christ was made to bear our sins, but the Azazel is a different phase of the sanctuary process.
        I also never said that you said you were crazy nor did I say that you said you hated Adventists. I’m not sure why but it appears you are having trouble reading my very basic statements. Maybe it’s best to leave this discussion be as I can see it is very difficult to get any point across to you.

• ACTheologian says:

Well you did make those statements and anyone can go to your comment and read them. I asked for clarification or apology and you only gave a straight denial then insulted my reading level.

Jesus doesn’t divide type and shadow of the old testament into phases. I think you’re getting that from Ellen White and importing it into the text. Instead, in Leviticus 16 you see type and shadow of the incarnation, atonement, propitiation, and Christ being made sin for us, washed rinsed, and repeated over and over.

By the time you get to the scapegoat in Lev 16 each of these themes has already played through a few times. There are no phases taking place after 1844 in the text.

I already provided a Biblical rationale as to how I see azazel prefiguring the sin Christ became for us. You would agree that when he bore them on the cross he was taking something that impacts humanity ontologically to the grave with himself? Scapegoat.

I’m sure you’ve read other literary works besides the Bible right? If it was a work of fiction we would call this foreshadow. Yet we know for a fact that the old testament was written long before the new. God has written type and shadow of himself on human history.

I think the IJ cheapens this as it twists type and shadow of the cross to point to Satan instead. Whereas Jesus said the old testament pointed to himself.
        All of these temple practices point to the cross. That’s why Jesus said it was finished.

You don’t need Satan to bear your sins friend. Jesus already did. Hey, Maybe we just disagree on the Sabbath. Whatever Okay? I do genuinely hope you’re not trusting in Satan to bear your sins at the close of probation.

That’s not snark or parody. That’s what this false prophet Ellen White teaches. Its dead wrong and should be flatly rejected, not reconciled.

• ACTheologian says:

This post digs into the typology of Leviticus 16 more. I want you to see that the approach I’m using can be consistently demonstrated in the chapter. I’m not making it up out of thin air.

• ACTheologian says:

Please allow me to clarify one thing in my last comment. I brushed over it but I don’t want you to miss it. Internet comments can be imprecise.

I thought of some helpful examples to show you why sequence and phasing isn’t a thing to be considered in biblical typology.

Example 1

In Leviticus 16 notice the lamb is slain outside while the high priest is in his nicest robes. Then when he proceeds to the most holy later he first dresses down to a Plainer garb. In this we see type and shadow of the incarnation. Christ emptying himself to provide atonement, and receiving a human nature from his mother. However in Leviticus the lamb had just bee slain. Yet we know the cross happened after the incarnation Right?

Sequence isn’t necessarily a thing in type / and shadow fulfillment. These themes wash rinse and repeat.

Example 2

Joseph, as I’m sure you are aware, is a type of Christ in the old testament. We see his brothers cast him into a pitt to die and he is instead sold to gentiles and spared. In this we see type and shadow of Christ being slain by his brothers, Israelites, and then resurrected with the gospel then going out to the gentiles across the world.

But later in the story this theme repeats with potifars wife. Joseph has to take the blame for a sin he didn’t commit and is cast into jail. He is later restored and presented by pharoah with all people’s submitting to his authority.

Just as Christ died for sins he did not commit, resurrected, and is presented to us with all things in heaven and earth under his authority.

Final Thoughts

Notice though the themes repeat with different highlights. They move back and forth out of order but still giving us that “foreshadow”

So to it is with the scapegoat. Remember, revelation says the lamb was slain from the foundations of the world. We know this to be in 33 AD, or close to it. But even still the Bible says from the foundations of the world.

The point is even though we saw it happen in time our forgiveness comes to us outside of time. How could you expect sequence, phasing, and time to be a thing in a place where there is none?

Hope I gave you some things to chew on and that I was clear. God bless.